Suhaila Salimpour Institute of Online Education
April 29, 2020
An Important Message from the Salimpour School
The Salimpour School presents the Suhaila Salimpour Institute of Online Education. Given the unexpected crisis faced by the world this year, plans to launch the institute (planned for 2023) were expedited to accommodate the training of our students located across the globe. The School’s certification process for the higher levels has now moved exclusively to the Institute. Using technology, you can train and certify without ever leaving your home town.
Live workshops and classes are valuable, and the School will still continue to offer in-person workshops and classes to supplement online course and certification programs. In a live workshop or class, you can be in the room with other students and be guided under the eye of an instructor. Students can learn collaboratively, learning from other students’ questions and corrections. But for the certification live workshops, it has been difficult to include everything a student needs in four or five days and to allow the student time to absorb and integrate feedback. Because of this, online education courses offer many benefits. Students can organize coursework and assignments into their regular weekly schedules.
In an online course, you don’t have immediate feedback from an instructor or the camaraderie with fellow students in the room. But, by using video and live conferencing, these courses can provide you even more personal feedback than a live group classroom, allow you more time to integrate that feedback, and present additional opportunity to grow with that feedback in a timely manner. In preparation for the courses, you can learn content by taking classes and training plans from the Salimpour School Online. If you have questions about technique or choreography, it is easy to set up private lessons with certified School instructors. When you feel ready, you can enroll in a testing preparation course. The testing preparation courses guide you over 12 weeks both to focus on the material you need for testing and to build a foundation for the next level. Testing is available following the courses.
We developed in 4 weeks what we intended to develop over 2 years. We started with the curriculum, building each course from scratch. We laid out the entire program with the details of every single assignment of every single week of every single course. When we made changes, it meant evaluating every course all over again, understanding how each change impacts the pacing of the content and the effectiveness of learning for the students. We tested our technology. Our classrooms are completely assembled and ready with over 14 courses that collectively contain over 170 weeks of instruction. This Institute is built!
So while our classes are ready, we are still in the process of adding content and material about the new Institute courses to the website and store. We appreciate your patience as we complete that work. And we welcome your questions. A general timeline is below. You can also find links to the course information. The classes will start in Fall of this year, and we’ll be posting that schedule in a few days.
And we want to take this time to thank our students. Truly, you inspired this change. Every single step of this process, we thought about you. How can we truly teach dance without being in the room together? How do we help you train long distance? How can we show you how much we value you as individuals? To our existing students, we appreciate your continued, unwavering support; every single one of you has a place in this Institute. To new students, we encourage you to join our worldwide community of students. Welcome to the Institute!
More Coming Soon
We have been preparing some additional online programs, all of of which have been on our planning board for over a year. We’ll be rolling these out soon.
- Online Lesson Series for Smaller Groups
- Online Short Courses
- Peer-Led Study and Training Groups
- Staging Instruction for Featured Choreographies
- Courses for Collectives
- Online Live Lectures
- Salimpour School Online Content filmed specifically for students training at home in small spaces
The Institute Mission and Values
The Suhaila Salimpour Institute of Online Education was created to address the School’s growing worldwide student body, to present more content with increased consistency, to provide more personalized feedback for students, and to establish a more accessible home for the Salimpour certification program. The Institute furthers the aims of the Salimpour School to graduate high quality performers and instructors, thereby raising the standard and status of belly dance worldwide; and to educate through a blend of modern and traditional dance, but always with authenticity in and awareness of Arabic music and the Arabic culture from where this dance originated.
Our Institute’s mission is to provide high quality belly dance education and certification through online learning strategies. The School continues to offer in-person classes and workshops; but all testing preparations and certification exams are handled through Institute online courses.*
- We utilize effective technologies to provide accessible, effective learning and certification opportunities for those students who, because of time, geographic, or other constraints, are unable to attend in-person workshops and classes.
- We ensure the quality of our distance learning instruction through effective course design and assessment.
- We foster an environment which allows students, without the restrictions of time and place, to take ownership and responsibility of their education and course pacing to help them reach their desired goals.
- We provide a quality, thorough education while taking into account each individual student’s learning style.
- We provide personalized feedback throughout the program for student awareness and growth.
- We foster a school culture based on a strong and effective partnership between our instructors and students.
- We promote a strong community of worldwide dancers.
- We value quality in education. Our programs and methods are under constant scrutiny so we can provide the best content for our students.
- We value honesty and integrity. The Salimpour School and the Suhaila Salimpour Institute of Online Education were created and are maintained based on these core values.