The documents below contain the latest version of the Salimpour Nomenclature and information.
- Salimpour Belly Dance Format Nomenclature: Click Here
- Jamila Vocabulary Nomenclature Single Sheet PDF: 10Jan2018_Jam_Nomenclature
- Nomenclature Overview & Grid use PDF: 12Sept2017_NomenclatureOverview
- Example: Student Choreography PDF: Mawoud2015
- Homework & Grid Formatting 2019 PDF: 1 Salimpour Homework Template & Grid 2019
- Choreography Workshop Example 2019 PDF: 1 Salimpour Choreography Template 2019
- Basic Grid Example: StageAudienceGrid
Learn about Suhaila’s Phrase Development Process in both her format and using the Jamila vocabulary.
A dance art book is used for documenting ideas and things that inspire you. Write, doodle, draw, and collage. Use the art book as a tangible, creative source and outlet for your notes, ideas, thoughts, influences, questions, frustrations, feelings, etc. on dance. Contribute to your dance art book regularly.
For members of the certification programs, you will be required to maintain a a dance art book beginning in Level 2. Your book should be no smaller than 9×12″ or B4 paper*. The same book can be used for each level and for both formats.
Beginning with Level 2, workshops have pre-workshop assignments and during-the-workshop homework for which you will need your art book. Bring your dance art book to every workshop L2 and above.
*B4 paper is 250mm x 353mm (9.8″ x 13.9″).
Your Certificate is a high resolution 8.5×11″ PDF file earned with The Salimpour School of Dance. The PDF file can be printed on your personal printer or sent to a printer of your choice for printing. We have designed these to be printed on white paper, but you can choose any paper color or cardstock style for your printed certificate.
The PDF file is password protected for viewing and printing only. To print your PDF file you will need the password certificate in all lower case. The certificate PDF file can not be changed or altered in any way. Please contact us if you have any questions about your certificate file.
Begin here to get a more realistic idea of your available time for training.
- Time Priority Assessment Worksheet PDF: TimePriorityAssessment08Dec2011
Follow the instructions below and view the example training plan. For assignments within Suhaila’s certification program, use the format below as shown in the example training plan.
- Instructions for Writing a Training Plan PDF: 6Dec2012_WritingTrainingPlan
Example Training Plan PDF: TrainingPlanExample1
Template MSWord doc: TrainingPlan
Key Elements to include in your training plan
List is in process.
- Review by Sahher of Suhaila’s February 2015 Workshop in New Zealand. Published in Medanz News(Middle Eastern Dance Association of New Zealand), April/May 2015. WEB_NO_PW_MEDANZ_Apr_May_15_FIN
- Demelza’s review of Suhaila’s workshop in Brighton, UK, Summer 2011. Link to blog post. PDF: I_Held_Suhailas_Ass_As_She_Vibration_Glute_Shimmied
- Luna’s review of Suhaila’s workshop in Brighton, UK, Summer 2011. Link to blog post. PDF: Suhaila_Salimpour_Intensive_Brighton_14-17_July_2011
- Princess Farhana’s blog series about backstage rituals, this entry featuring Suhaila. Click here for blog link. PDF version: DANCERS_BACKSTAGE_RITUALS_PART_TWO_SUHAILA_SALIMPOUR
In many of her classes and workshops, Suhaila teaches students to use a foam roller to help roll out muscles, especially areas like quads, the I.T. band, and hamstrings. Ashley Borden has created a roller instructional guide that provides an overview and then specific exercises on using the roller. Before using a roller, work with a qualified instructor or medical professional so you are using proper technique and selecting the correct exercises. Ashley Border Foam Roller Instructional Guide PDF: AshleyBorden-RollingOut-12-12
Instructions for making the Bal Anat paper mache pot. PDF: 23Feb2016PotMakingInstructions
The following document lists the basic Suhaila format foot patterns and movements with level information.
Click below to download a PDF of the Suhaila format 8 week rotation.
Click below to download a PDF of the Jamila format 12 week rotation for JL1 and JL2.
Music and Video
Suhaila Salimpour has produced music for Salimpour School students since her first album produced in the late 1980s. Her catalog includes over 16 CDS and 2 double albums. She also offers audio training for finger cymbals and format training.
- Suhaila Salimpour, the Salimpour School, and Suhaila International, LLC hold the copyright to the downloadable music.
- The music is for your own personal use to be played privately with the following exception: music may be played by instructors in class and workshops 1) provided that music credit is given and 2) provided that the classes are workshops are not videoed, taped, recorded, or otherwise captured.
- Music may not be used in any filmed, videoed recorded or taped classes, workshops, performances, DVDs, videos, sound files, etc. without prior and written permission from Suhaila Salimpour and Suhaila International, LLC.
- Music may not be duplicated, broadcast, copied, or mixed.
Music Use Permission Request form for performances and events. One request per event/calendar date. Permission given by email.
Top 10+ Singers, Old Days
Wadie el Safi
Abdul Halim Hafez
Muhamed Abdul Mouttaleb
Muhamed Abdul Wahab
Najat El Sagira
Warda El Jazayriah
Top 10+ Composers
Muhammad Abdul Wahab (Inta Oumri for Oum Kalthoum)
Riad El Soumbati (Lissa Faker for Oum Koulthoum)
Zakria Ahmad (Houwa Sahih for Oum Koulthoum)
Baligh Hamdi (Gana El Hawa for Abdul Halim)
Mouhammad El Mouji (kariat El finjan for Abdul Halim)
Mouhammad El kasabji (rak El habib for Oum Kalthoum)
Rahbani Brother (most of Fayrouz’s songs)
Felimon Wahbeh (some of Fayrouz songs)
Mulhem Barakat (any songs composed by him)
Kazem El Saher (any songs composed by him)
Top 10+ Modern Singers
Abdul Majeed Abdulla
Kazem El Saher
- Mona Al Said in gold/African: https://vimeo.com/108145801
- Mona Al Said, assuit in London: https://vimeo.com/103687548
- Mona Said, https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Nadia Gamal, gold and black: https://youtu.be/yA-IzIIkT5A
- Nadia Gamal, white: https://youtu.be/HksVZJv3KUc
- Nagwa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EINEU5NkeBg
- Fifi in pink, Baladi to drum solo: https://vimeo.com/124729720 (3:40)
- Suhaila 1991 BC: https://vimeo.com/143881724#t=1008s
- Sohair Zaki 1991, gold and black: https://youtu.be/Gi6SUtoXqz8?t=1m42s
- Sohair Zaki, Parisiana: https://youtu.be/coq3KabgY5I?t=11m19s
- Sahar Hamdi: https://youtu.be/5bcrfa2i2vo
- Dina, red dress, 80s: https://youtu.be/3a5Gaoib3Wg
- Dina, white skirt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aK0MzqoX04
- Amani, teal: https://youtu.be/le0u6XTUvoc
- Amani, teal with gloves: https://vimeo.com/106600555#t=614s
- Amani, brown: https://youtu.be/pZLVkNDqL64
- Amani, sleeves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOjYrP7D_Vc
- Samara, Iraqi dancer: https://youtu.be/jGI6JD9sCe4
Hanan, shimmy marathon https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=T4khbQ6o-ns&t=1019s starts past 17min in
Sahar Hamdy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Spotify Play List