The documents below contain the latest version of the Salimpour Nomenclature and information.
- Salimpour Belly Dance Format Nomenclature: Click Here
- Jamila Vocabulary Nomenclature Single Sheet PDF: 10Jan2018_Jam_Nomenclature
- Nomenclature Overview & Grid use PDF: 12Sept2017_NomenclatureOverview
- Example: Student Choreography PDF: Mawoud2015
- Homework & Grid Formatting 2019 PDF: 1 Salimpour Homework Template & Grid 2019
- Choreography Workshop Example 2019 PDF: 1 Salimpour Choreography Template 2019
- Basic Grid Example: StageAudienceGrid
Learn about Suhaila’s Phrase Development Process in both her format and using the Jamila vocabulary.
A dance art book is used for documenting ideas and things that inspire you. Write, doodle, draw, and collage. Use the art book as a tangible, creative source and outlet for your notes, ideas, thoughts, influences, questions, frustrations, feelings, etc. on dance. Contribute to your dance art book regularly.
For members of the certification programs, you will be required to maintain a a dance art book beginning in Level 2. Your book should be no smaller than 9×12″ or B4 paper*. The same book can be used for each level and for both formats.
Beginning with Level 2, workshops have pre-workshop assignments and during-the-workshop homework for which you will need your art book. Bring your dance art book to every workshop L2 and above.
*B4 paper is 250mm x 353mm (9.8″ x 13.9″).
Your Certificate is a high resolution 8.5×11″ PDF file earned with The Salimpour School of Dance. The PDF file can be printed on your personal printer or sent to a printer of your choice for printing. We have designed these to be printed on white paper, but you can choose any paper color or cardstock style for your printed certificate.
The PDF file is password protected for viewing and printing only. To print your PDF file you will need the password certificate in all lower case. The certificate PDF file can not be changed or altered in any way. Please contact us if you have any questions about your certificate file.
Begin here to get a more realistic idea of your available time for training.
- Time Priority Assessment Worksheet PDF: TimePriorityAssessment08Dec2011
Follow the instructions below and view the example training plan. For assignments within Suhaila’s certification program, use the format below as shown in the example training plan.
- Instructions for Writing a Training Plan PDF: 6Dec2012_WritingTrainingPlan
Example Training Plan PDF: TrainingPlanExample1
Template MSWord doc: TrainingPlan
Key Elements to include in your training plan
List is in process.
- Review by Sahher of Suhaila’s February 2015 Workshop in New Zealand. Published in Medanz News(Middle Eastern Dance Association of New Zealand), April/May 2015. WEB_NO_PW_MEDANZ_Apr_May_15_FIN
- Demelza’s review of Suhaila’s workshop in Brighton, UK, Summer 2011. Link to blog post. PDF: I_Held_Suhailas_Ass_As_She_Vibration_Glute_Shimmied
- Luna’s review of Suhaila’s workshop in Brighton, UK, Summer 2011. Link to blog post. PDF: Suhaila_Salimpour_Intensive_Brighton_14-17_July_2011
- Princess Farhana’s blog series about backstage rituals, this entry featuring Suhaila. Click here for blog link. PDF version: DANCERS_BACKSTAGE_RITUALS_PART_TWO_SUHAILA_SALIMPOUR
In many of her classes and workshops, Suhaila teaches students to use a foam roller to help roll out muscles, especially areas like quads, the I.T. band, and hamstrings. Ashley Borden has created a roller instructional guide that provides an overview and then specific exercises on using the roller. Before using a roller, work with a qualified instructor or medical professional so you are using proper technique and selecting the correct exercises. Ashley Border Foam Roller Instructional Guide PDF: AshleyBorden-RollingOut-12-12
Instructions for making the Bal Anat paper mache pot. PDF: 23Feb2016PotMakingInstructions
Jamila Salimpour in assuit.
Upper left: Suhaila Salimpour; photo by E. Blotnick; photo restoration by Pixie Vision.
Center left: Jamila Salimpour and Suhaila Salimpour; photo by Richard Sharpe.
Lower left: Bal Anat.
Main photo: Jamila Salimpour.
Upper right: Jamila Salimpour, age 16, in her circus uniform.
Center right: Jamila Salimpour.
Lower right: Jamila Salimpour.
Upper left: Turkish dancers, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Lower left: Moroccan dancer, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Upper left: Jamila Salimpour, Suhaila Salimpour and Annie Lippey; photo by Gregor Weitzel.
Lower left: Dancer in a back bend.
Lower Center: Galya, featured Bal Anat soloist.
Upper left: Meta, Bal Anat tray dancer.
Upper right: Jamila Salimpour with Bal Anat musicians.
Lower left: Bora Ozkok and Lou Miller, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Upper left: Katrina Burda, first Mother Goddess dancer.
Upper right: Suhaila Salimpour.
Lower left: Jamila Salimpour with Bal Anat musicians.
Lower right: Katrina Burda, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Left: Jamila Salimpour playing finger cymbals.
Right: Bal Anat’s Katak dance.
Upper left: Bal Anat Moroccan dancer.
Center left: Samira, one of Bal Anat snake dancers.
Upper right: Ghanima Gaditana as Bal Anat Tunisian dancer with Lou Miller as drummer, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Lower left: Karshilama dancers.
Lower right: Bal Anat Moroccan dancers, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Sword dancers. Lower right: Rhea.
Lower right: Annie Lippey, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Upper left: Jamila Salimpour.
Center: The Bal Anat Pink Ladies.
Lower left: The Bal Aant Pink Ladies.
Upper left: Bal Anat snake dancers.
Upper Center: Jamila Salimpour with snake.
Lower left: Samira performing with snake, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Lower right: Samira, Bal Anat snake dancer..
Upper left: Jamila Salimpour performing on water glasses with snake in earliest Bal Anat performances.
Upper right: Bal Anat snake dancer.
Lower left: Jamila Salimpour performing on water glasses and playing finer cymbals in earliest Bal Anat performances.
Lower right: Suhaila Salimpour.
Upper left: Bal Anat table balancing act.
Upper right: Gilly Gilly as one of Bal Anat magicians.
Lower left: Bal Anat tray balancing act with Suhaila Salimpour on table.
Lower right: Bal Anat tray balancing act with Suhaila Salimpour on table.
Upper left: Bal Anat Turkish drop.
Upper right: Bal Anat performer.
Lower left: Full view of Renaissance Pleasure Faire stage on which Bal Anat performed.
Lower right: Bal Anat sword swallower.
Upper left: Jamila Salimpour.
Upper right: Bal Anat Pot Dancers.
Lower left: Suhaila Salimpour.
Lower right: Bal Anat Pot Dancers.
Left: Zoraida as a Bal Anat pot dancer.
Right: Bal Anat pot dancers.
Upper left and right: Darius as Male Tray Dancer, 1975; from photo collection of Ganima Gaditana.
Lower right: Suhaila Salimpour with tray.
Upper left: Meta as featured Bal Anat tray dancer.
Upper right: Bal Anat Karshilama dancers, 1975; from photo collection of Ganima Gaditana.
Lower left: Darius.
Lower right: Meta.
Upper left: Galya as Bal Anat finale dancer.
Upper right: Galya.
Lower left: Aida in Turkish Drop, 1975; from photo collection of Ghanima Gaditana.
Lower right: Aida.
Upper left: Early group shot of Bal Anat.
Upper right: Galya.
Lower left: Aida.
Lower right: Suhaila Salimpour.
Left: Suhaila Salimpour; photo by Craig Smith.
Upper right: Jamila Salimpour.
Center: Suhaila Salimpour; photo by E. Blotnick.
Center right: Bal Anat group.
Lower right: Bal Anat circle.
Upper left: Suhaila Salimpour in pram.
Upper right: Bal Anat group.
Lower right: Bal Anat group.
Bal Anat, 2013; photo by Robert P. Dudley.
Bal Anat Banner, 2013; photo by Robert P. Dudley.
The following document lists the basic Suhaila format foot patterns and movements with level information.
Click below to download a PDF of the Suhaila format 8 week rotation.
Music and Video
Suhaila Salimpour has produced music for Salimpour School students since her first album produced in the late 1980s. Her catalog includes over 16 CDS and 2 double albums. She also offers audio training for finger cymbals and format training.
- Suhaila Salimpour, the Salimpour School, and Suhaila International, LLC hold the copyright to the downloadable music.
- The music is for your own personal use to be played privately with the following exception: music may be played by instructors in class and workshops 1) provided that music credit is given and 2) provided that the classes are workshops are not videoed, taped, recorded, or otherwise captured.
- Music may not be used in any filmed, videoed recorded or taped classes, workshops, performances, DVDs, videos, sound files, etc. without prior and written permission from Suhaila Salimpour and Suhaila International, LLC.
- Music may not be duplicated, broadcast, copied, or mixed.
Top 10+ Singers, Old Days
Wadie el Safi
Abdul Halim Hafez
Muhamed Abdul Mouttaleb
Muhamed Abdul Wahab
Najat El Sagira
Warda El Jazayriah
Top 10+ Composers
Muhammad Abdul Wahab (Inta Oumri for Oum Kalthoum)
Riad El Soumbati (Lissa Faker for Oum Koulthoum)
Zakria Ahmad (Houwa Sahih for Oum Koulthoum)
Baligh Hamdi (Gana El Hawa for Abdul Halim)
Mouhammad El Mouji (kariat El finjan for Abdul Halim)
Mouhammad El kasabji (rak El habib for Oum Kalthoum)
Rahbani Brother (most of Fayrouz’s songs)
Felimon Wahbeh (some of Fayrouz songs)
Mulhem Barakat (any songs composed by him)
Kazem El Saher (any songs composed by him)
Top 10+ Modern Singers
Abdul Majeed Abdulla
Kazem El Saher
- Mona Al Said in gold/African: https://vimeo.com/108145801
- Mona Al Said, assuit in London: https://vimeo.com/103687548
- Mona Said, https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Nadia Gamal, gold and black: https://youtu.be/yA-IzIIkT5A
- Nadia Gamal, white: https://youtu.be/HksVZJv3KUc
- Nagwa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EINEU5NkeBg
- Fifi in pink, Baladi to drum solo: https://vimeo.com/124729720 (3:40)
- Suhaila 1991 BC: https://vimeo.com/143881724#t=1008s
- Sohair Zaki 1991, gold and black: https://youtu.be/Gi6SUtoXqz8?t=1m42s
- Sohair Zaki, Parisiana: https://youtu.be/coq3KabgY5I?t=11m19s
- Sahar Hamdi: https://youtu.be/5bcrfa2i2vo
- Dina, red dress, 80s: https://youtu.be/3a5Gaoib3Wg
- Dina, white skirt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aK0MzqoX04
- Amani, teal: https://youtu.be/le0u6XTUvoc
- Amani, teal with gloves: https://vimeo.com/106600555#t=614s
- Amani, brown: https://youtu.be/pZLVkNDqL64
- Amani, sleeves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOjYrP7D_Vc
- Samara, Iraqi dancer: https://youtu.be/jGI6JD9sCe4
Hanan, shimmy marathon https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=T4khbQ6o-ns&t=1019s starts past 17min in
Sahar Hamdy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Spotify Play List